Saturday, January 31, 2009


In school year 1926-1927, the school began offering secondary education and eventually phased out its elementary program. Then in 1950, it opened its doors to girls who could take food trades, cosmetology or dressmaking for specialization.

By virtue of Republic Act 704 enacted on May 14, 1952, the trade school was renamed the Sorsogon School of Arts and Trades (SSAT). Its short course offerings were expanded to include architectural drafting, building construction, electricity and furniture and cabinet making. Two years later, the two- year technical course with specialization in the same trades as those for the secondary course was introduced. Soon, machine shop practice, radio mechanics, automotive mechanics and refrigeration and air-conditioning were added as major courses.

Striving for relevance and excellence

The SORSOGON STATE COLLEGE (SSC) was established in 1907 as the Sorsogon Provincial Trade School, an elementary school meant to train boys and girls with aptitude in the trades for immediate employment. Situated in a two-hectare campus, a portion of which is part of the present SSC Main Campus, the school initially offered woodworking as the only trade course for intermediate pupils.